About Me

My photo
Encounters with Hungarian

Followers

2010-01-20

further adventures intro to tata

Early Wednesday, 21 Jan 2010

Slowly starting to differentiate between the students, very slowly getting some of the names down. I don’t know why, but it is the boys’ faces that seem to have more character, to stand out from the background, so I am a bit more able to remember their names. I have also been introduced to a more lacksidasical way of things…teachers don’t head to the classrooms till about a minute after the hour has struck, they get there around three after, and from what I have seen, classes don’t really get going till about 5 after at the earliest. I may surprise some folks with my promptness and my expectations…

Experiment one. I created a homework assignment. Well, what I created was a new blog and in my first posting I list the homework assignment. So this is going to be a shock for them—it is going to be communicated in writing, via the internet. They are told what to do, where to go for info, how to turn the homework in. A-4 paper (European version of our 8 ½ x 11), folded In half lengthwise, name and class marked clearly on the front (like a book title).

So far only one person says no access to internet. I think I am going to say.. ok, you need to go to a library or to a friend’s house. I am not inclined to let this pass. If they want to be part of the 21st century they need to get on board. If the family has tv and cell phones, then they need to get internet as well. Besides, this person says her mother is a teacher. Even more reason.

I am managing with my mini computer, but I do need a bigger keyboard and a monitor. So I decided to head off to the local version of Wallmart, called here Tesco.. Located about 20 min walk from the center of town, about a mile past the local cemetery. (which no doubt marked the previous outermost limit of town). Tesco has groceries and household goods, but no computer stuff. Radios and tvs and dvd players yes, pc’s no. well, one good aspect of my walk to and from.. I picked up a box of chalk. Not interested in dealing with the crumbs left in the classroom—I want my own full piece, thankyou. (side note, blackboard erasers are called “sponges” In german. The german phrase for “forget it” is “schwamm drueber”—literally, “sponge over it”—ie, wipe it out. Here the erasers are big sponge blobs, about the size of a large paperback. )

Carla gave me her key to the English teachers’ office, so now I can go in early and use the internet. I will probably astound folks when I go in at 7:30 tomorrow. It’s ok, I can just be that crazy American, the one who doesn’t know how we do things around here. But I am pretty sure I won’t get any flak from the Principal, who reportedly read the riot act to her staff about not showing up in classrooms until 15 after.

There is some discussion about my not moving in immediately to Carla’s place. Maybe the school wants to go through it and do some cleaning and repair? Or install listening devices/cameras? No one is saying anything to me directly. Of course not, that’s not how we do things. And the person who is in charge of this project, if indeed it is a project, was not there today, will not be there tomorrow, and surely we cannot reach her by phone to ask what the plan is.. surely not.

It is 1 am I’ve had about 4 hrs sleep, not really really tired but will start heading down soon. Maybe a few more pages in Half a Yellow Sun (many thanks, Stephen, it is a slow read, and I am taking my time with it, savoring it) and maybe a banana (ate the Yog Hooort already). Trying to meditate a bit as well.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Bob, Brian gave me your blog address and I just had a look. I am not surprised by your descriptions of life in (a small) Hungarian town. Different than St. Louis and probably different from a small US town. But used-to gettable. A couple of years ago while in Vienna, we made a short day trip into Hungary.

    The eating habits, however, are something else--especially for health concious exercise loving health club (Y) members. If I had to eat, today, my mother's fat and butter-rich cooking it would take several years off my life expectancy with a not-so-good quality of life in the meantime.
    At least you have bananas, and "Yog Hooort" and, I am sure, at Tesco you'll find various cerial. Hans- survived Xmas w/o gaining lbs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote that only one person said that their family don't have any internet at home, and you wrote (I think ) very sarcastically about the importance of the Internet,and how can it be possible that they don't have. Well, you don't know the reason...maybe they don't have any money for paying it, or the parents don't wanna have it at home...This is Hungary, and you should be more sympathetic, 'cause this is obviously not what you got used to in the past...

    ReplyDelete