About Me

My photo
Encounters with Hungarian

Followers

2014-03-12

Somewhat steady state

  During th last couple of weeks I have made a few appearances at the Benedek Elek school, doing conversation exercises, trying to help some of the students prepare for oral exams coming up soon.  It makes such a difference whether I meet with students who really are interested and those who are there just because it is a class.  Yesterday, talking with Julia"s group, it was like slogging through honey. But I could see myself getting through to about 4 out of the 20.   Later that afternoon I went over to the Reformatus gimnázium just next door to chat with about 8 of Melinda"s students.  Izabella, Bence, Tomás, Balázs, Istvan, Helga, József, and...... the tall one, the one who is playing semi-pro basketball already.   Balázs and Tomi were quite engaging, witty, a bit edgy.  József is very serious, he thinks he wants to go to seminary for training as a Calvinist pastor.
I found out that they can apply for Hungarian citizenship if they wish....the ballplayer has only a Hungarian passport.

Took a bus trip to Korond last saturday, checked out a couple of stores selling traditional pottery, carvings, fabrics.  In many respects it reminded me of the market in Nuevo Laredo, the town right across the Rio Grande.  Overall this quality was higher, toys were solid wood, fabric was finished, the pottery is much like it has been made for over 100 years.  I maz be able to buy some nice plates and have them shipped to me in BP so I can give them to Tata friends as gifts.  But ran into a hiccup on return.  The bike lock refused to open.  Just simply would not.  Correct combination, I am sure sure sure sure sure, it just simply would not open.  Took taxi back to Gizi -- i had gone to the store and had bought milk and fruit--explained my woes, and about an hour later a colleague of Gizi"s son shows up with a power carbide saw which hacks through the cable in about 5 seconds.  So at least I am mobile again.  I bought a decent bottle of wine yest, gave it to Zita, who will make sure it gets to her brother and to his colleague.

Looking ahead, I have planned everything from 22 April to 1 May, when I return to Hungary.  But I am thinking of a trip to Brasov and then renting a small car to go into the mountains, which you just cant do unless you have a car.  Or are willing to hike which with my  knees I am not.

No comments:

Post a Comment