About Me

My photo
Encounters with Hungarian

Followers

2014-03-26

frustration

with persistent cough --though it is slowly disappearing--
with the hotel--food is salty and generally too heavy, last several nights the staff did not turn the heat back on in the evening, so around 3 am i wake up and have to readjust sleep situation to account for cold room.  last night i was smart enough to check things out before going to sleep, tested the radiators.. no heat.  fortunately i had spotted a portable electric radiator down the hall, so rolled it in and set it on medium.. did the job.  but still, i should not have to do it.  i have pretty much exhausted the variety offered by the town.. went to the local museum, the library, that,s about it.

I have hit a wall with Hungarian.. vocab that is down is mostly concrete things, objects, colors, action verbs..  things that i can visualize.  but moving into abstract territory is hard.  VIRTUE,
JEALOUSY, GREED... Hard to pin down the equivalents .  I was tring to remember the Hungarian for VIRTUE.  My mnemonic is an image of a key, because i know the word for key, whichh is KULCS, and the word for VIRTUE is ERKÖLCS.   But it took me about five seconds just now to bring ERKÖLCS to the surface, which is just waaay too slow.

Even so I am spending about 4-5 hours a day strictly on Hungarian.  Computer vocab drills, about two hours. Reading, another two.  then an hour with either Tomás or Balázs at a local cafá going over stuff I have been working on, plus the two hours a week i spend onn skype with Ákos.  Certain things I can read it all depends on the vocab in question.  For example a recent newspaper article was all about the return of the storks to their summer nesting areas.  I am fine until the article goes off into the economic significance of storks, or environmental implications, and then I just grind to a halt.

While fighting the local variety of virus last week I started to watch game of thrones.  have exhausted that, and now am doing the latest season of sherlock.  i did binge when i was just out of energy and kept moping about, but now it is no more than one episode per day, generally around 9 pm, after I have  done a good faith effort in hungarian during the day.




No comments:

Post a Comment