About Me

My photo
Encounters with Hungarian

Followers

2011-04-26

Vienna/Bratislava Easter 2011


Main drag of Bratislava. The downtown is definitely worth a 2-3 hour stroll, there are cafes galore and by any standard the beer is cheap== full service for 1/2 liter of beer was running about $2.00, when it is about $5 in Vienna.
It is not hard to get there, about 1 hr trainride from Vienna, but then figure it is at least another half hour or so each way to get to the train station in Vienna, travelling by metro or streetcar. So total travel is about 3 hours to spend a profitable 3 hours. I guess I am glad I went, but i think the time would have been better spent in one of the Viennese museums.


I wanted to get to the center of town just before sunset to capture the glow from the buildings. I would have liked to have a deeper blue in the sky, but it still turned out well.













This is the main altar of the Karlskirche, and while I am not a big fan of baroque, I have to admit that this one nearly knocks your socks off. The triangle and tetragramm at the center of the nimbus are extremely effective, the rays of gold effervesce with natural light. This photo was taken at around 6 pm, before I headed off to the opera to watch public tv screening of the performance of Faust going on inside.











On the way to the Albertina on the Monday after Easter I happened past the Spanish riding school. There was a huge gaggle of Japanese tourists in the courtyard, all of them going gaga over the beasties, and then a group of three horses were paraded out, and I got a quick shot off as one passed by.










Here is more of the sunset light effect on the royal buildings, I think this is the Kunsthistorisches Museum. You can see the shadow of the cupola cast against the main dome, giving you an idea of the angle of the sun... i.e., very low on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment